Time is Running Out! Support New Legislation (H.R. 8702) to Stop Medicare Cuts
Your voice is making a difference!
Indiana U.S. Representative, Larry Bucshon, MD, R-Ind, along with Ami Bera, MD, D-Calif introduced new legislation October 30, 2020 in the U.S. House of Representatives named “Holding Providers Harmless From Medicare Cuts During COVID-19 Act of 2020” (H.R. 8702).
This legislation would keep Medicare payment levels stable for the next two years. This will spare physical therapy and 36 other professions from cuts designed to offset increases to payment for office/outpatient evaluations and management services beginning January 1, 2021..
H.R. 8702 proposes to increase funding to Medicare by the estimated amounts redirected toward the planned increases, and directs CMS to essentially reset payment for these 37 professions to 2020 levels.
TAKE ACTION: click APTA Patient Access Center to access pre-written template to reach out to your member of Congress in support of H.R. 8702.
CMS Proposed 2021 Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) and Quality Payment Program (QPP) Rule
CMS seeks comments on its proposed rule. Highlights of the proposed rule as they pertain to outpatient therapy services include:
- Estimated 9% reduction in payment for PT, OT, and SLP providers in 2021.
- CY 2021 Conversion Factor (used to determine payment of CPT codes): decreased from $36.09 to $32.26.
- Revaluation of therapy evaluations and reevaluations codes.
- Permanently allows PTs to bill e-visits, virtual check-ins, and remote assessment of recorded video and/or images submitted by an established patient.
- PTAs to perform maintenance therapy services in Part B settings.
- Proposed rule for MIPS 2021 performance period.
- Therapy student documentation in the medical record.
Taking action against the proposed pay cuts is vital to our profession and patients. Timing is of the essence! Please consider using this information from APTA and these links to advocate for proper payment for physical therapy! Please write Members of Congress to STOP the 9% reduction in the Physician Fee Schedule for Physical Therapy Services! Letters should be sent as soon as possible, but no later than October 1! APTA members can log in to the Legislative Action Center to send pre-written messages to their legislators.
Click here for an article from APTA on the proposed 2021 rule.
Click here for a summary of the proposed rules for MIPS 2021.