Neuromuscular Disease: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and Beyond
March 16, 2019 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM
St. Vincent Fishers Hospital
13861 Olio Road, Fishers, IN 46037
This course will provide and update on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy including evaluation, treatment, care planning and equipment. We will then go beyond Duchenne and learn about other neuromuscular diseases including SMA.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the pathophysiology of muscular dystrophy.
- Identify the difference between Duchenne and Becker Muscular Dystrophy.
- Understand the presentation of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy across the lifespan, Highlight the current medical treatment and trials.
- Focus on specific tests and measures for the Physical Therapy Evaluation.
- Identify the appropriate care plan and treatment plan for kids with Duchenne, Bracing and Equipment across the lifespan of kids with Duchenne.
- Understand the pathophysiology of the different types SMA, Current clinical trial occurring for SMA, PT eval and treatment of kids with SMA.
- Identify other neuromuscular diagnoses encountered in the PT field.
- Nicole Hybben, PT, DPT, CKTP
- CureDuchenne Certified Physical Therapist
Dr. Hybben graduated in 2007 with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Kinesiology from the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. She then went on to receive her Doctorate of Physical Therapy Degree from there as well in 2010. She began her career as a float between adult and pediatrics at the University of Minnesota Health Adult and Children’s Hospital in September 2010. Dr. Hybben quickly transitioned to full time pediatrics within a year, doing inpatient and outpatient therapy. She grew and developed the Pediatric Weight Management Program there and presented a poster at the Annual Obesity Conference in November 2015, showing how Physical Therapy treatment could assist in the improvement of gross motor function independent of weight loss. Dr. Hybben also participated in the Hematology/Oncology program to assist in appropriate referrals and follow-up in and out of the hospital.
Dr. Hybben transferred to Riley Hospital of Children in Indianapolis in April of 2016 to be closer to her family. She transitioned into full-time outpatient pediatrics. Within a year, they began work to improve their presence in many multi-disciplinary clinics. Dr. Hybben became a certified Kinesio Taping practitioner and a CureDuchenne Cares Certified Physical Therapist. She is now the lead Physical Therapist in the MDA Clinic and is growing an outpatient caseload with primarily children and teens with neuromuscular disease.
8:00 – 8:15 am Registration
8:15 – 10:15 am
- Pathophysiology of Muscular Dystrophy
- Difference Between Duchenne and Becker Muscular Dystrophy, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Across the Lifespan
- Current Medical Treatment and Trials
- Physical Therapy Evaluation with Focus on Specific Test and Measures
10:15 – 10:30 am Break
10:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Care and treatment plan for kids with Duchenne,
- Bracing and Equipment Across the Lifespan of Kids with Duchenne
- Pathophysiology of the Different Types of SMA
- Current Clinical Trial Occurring for SMA
- PT Evaluation and Treatment of Kids with SMA
- Other Neuromuscular Diagnoses Encountered in the PT Field